Monday 11 April 2011

Memories from Orlando

It's been slightly over a week since our return from Orlando. 

My memories from the trip:
  • Missed flight connection & mad rush to catch connecting flights or to secure the much needed aisle seats
  • Rapid heartbeat caused by sudden flight reservation cancellation as a result of the missed flight
  • Strong gutsy winds coupled with torrential rains, tornado warnings and lightning strikes
  • Overdose of theme parks, rides, attractions, and people
  • Strong sense of insecurity (only experienced in the US) as well as "rejection" because of our "non-white" skin
  • Outlet shopping with fantastic deals from our favorite labels and brands
 Although it was not my kind of trip and because of that, it brought out the worst in me.   It must have shocked my colleague to see this other side of me, although my sister was quick to affirm that this is the real me.  My short fuse and lack of patience/tolerance, aggravated by constant worry and stress caused by the prevailing sense of insecurity made me a most unpleasant companion.

My need for personal space and downtime was not felt by the colleague.  I knew she needed assurance and support; this being her first long trip overseas.  But I was really worn out by the constant need to talk about work and office gossips.  As usual, instead of coming out in open to express my sentiments, I chose to withdraw and be misunderstood.

This character flaw is something I need to deal with, as part of my Half-Time assessment.  I have yet to learn to let go, rest and trust in the One upstairs to help manage whatever situations we were or would be in. 

Realised that whatever I have endeavoured prior to the trip, I did not achieve them cos I was depending mainly on my own wits and strengths.  As a result, I couldn't relax neither could I bring joy and fun to the companions I was with during the trip.  But thankfully, I know that the One up there was keeping a very close watch over us and because of that, we managed to overcome and enjoy:
  • Free and safe transport arrangement
  • Visits to the largest Walt Disney World theme parks and Universal theme parks
  • Easy and fast access to many of the rides and attractions that we have previously identified and targeted
  • Plenty of shopping opportunities for my sister at the theme parks
  • Outlet shopping with really value for money deals
  • 5-star resort hotel stay (even though it was extremely inconvenient for the three of us who do not drive)
I am glad it's over and I have done my part to help fulfill my family member's lifelong dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment