Tuesday 22 February 2011

Goodbye. Thank you. Good luck


Today was a day of bidding goodbye to many colleagues and thanking them for their support. It was not easy to leave them with words of encouragement. The desire to impress on them the need to do a good job, be good people and supporters of our boss was so strong. Putting our heart into our job was the key message I tried to convey.

I was touched by what one of them said to me during lunch. She asked me which department I would be going to next and if she can join me there.

Looking at the mad rush to get our act together in time for the all important meeting today, I cant help wondering...is this because we did not care enough or we have not learnt to look out for one another?

Then the fiasco with the escalated negative publicity issue - is this a case of going the wrong extra mile or a case of non compliance with SOP?

I can only wish my colleagues good luck. I worry for one of my direct reports. I was initially concerned about a boss who has actively supported me for the last 9 years; but was reminded that she is far too experienced and tenacious to be defeated by all these cumulative setbacks.

This recent series of bad publicity is a test of leadership, both witin the team and across the organization. I am not sure if this latest incident would be an opportunity to rally and bond us together for a common cause or it succeeds only in demoralizing or demotivating our staff.

I can only hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment