Tuesday 1 March 2011

Day 2: Jurong Lake

Today was a cloudy day.  Almost canceled my plans to walk the dogs and to head out to Lakeside.

Then I saw this - sun peeking through the heavy clouds.  It seemed like a promising start.

I took Twink and Hap out for a much shorter jaunt - to the big playground.  It was a more manageable pace for both dogs and this hopelessly unfit person.

I took the train to Lakeside MRT and began my walk towards the right side of the lake, along Yuan Ching Road, the road that I have been commuting almost daily to work.

It was surprisingly breezy although a little humid.  It was a decision to take a walk after all.    Discovered a couple of new things:

Lakeside Boardwalk
(A) A new boardwalk for fishing - yay, at long last, a decent boardwalk in the Western part of Singapore!

It was an interesting mix of plants and flowers - looked a little weird till I read of their purpose and use.

I thought the flowers were stunning on the floating wetlands!

Floating Wetlands





Floating Wetlands with the purpose of absorbing pollutants and improving the quality of water in the lake as well as serve as a breeding ground for dragonflies

 

Next, I chanced upon the PA Water Venture - a place for canoeing and other water sports.  It was unfortunately closed for some community sports event.  Must check this out for possible family bonding activities. 

Along the way, I saw retirees sitting along the benches - one was quietly playing Sudoku.  A big group of senior adults (distinguishable by the colorful scarves they tied to their necks) were having an outing by the lake.  It is what I called - Active Ageing!  I think Singapore is beautiful - all we need is time and space to enjoy what we call as our Enduring Home.

Again I saw the sun shining through the rather gloomy clouds, thought it was a beautiful sight.  Took more pictures along the way...


Spider Lilies!
I thought the tree trunks look interesting - like mangroves on the ground.

Had to snap this picture of the tree.  It has such a strong burst of colors -lovely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment