Thursday 3 March 2011

Half a Gap

Vacation = Leave of Absence

It can mean a sabbatical or a career break or, for the fresh grads, a gap year. My 6-month NPL can be considered as "half a gap" year. So what does one do during such a phase?

Today I attended yet another farewell lunch - this time for the Big Boss.  She came by our table mid-way through the lunch to yak with us.  The first question she posed to me threw me off guard.

She asked, "What did you do differently this week now that you are on leave?"  It took me quite a while before I muttered, "Long walks. I took several long walks over the last few days". 

Well, this is quite true, if I factored in my two mornings' worth of brisk/dog walks; the walk to the MRT station/Jurong Point; climbing the overhead bridge each morning to get my breakfast and walking to Hong Lim Complex (from the very near Chinatown MRT station) to book air tickets...

But then again, the question was rather revealing about people's expectations.  We are always expected to be doing something, even when we are on leave. 

I should have said, "What was different was I wasn't doing anything planned or on my to-do list.  I was going by the weather of the day, my mood as well as any possible adventure of serendipity: like chancing upon a Tea Shop and sitting down to an impromptu tea-tasting session."

It's strange that I almost had this guilt feeling and hence refrained from saying, "I did nothing.  Just rest, relax and enjoy personal, free, quiet time with myself as well as my dogs."

Today is Day 4 of the Long Vacation.  I am really savouring each moment of it.  
All we need is to set aside time to Play or Chat
 

No comments:

Post a Comment