Wednesday 2 March 2011

Airfare-booking & The Art of Chinese Tea Drinking

First time on board SQ A380
Today was spent on:
  1. Clearing report cards (6 of them) in the morning
  2. Met PL to discuss alternative airfare booking plans
  3. Headed to Hong Lim Complex - MISA Travel to enquire about cheaper airfare
I was delighted by the patient and informative service provided by the travel consultant, May.  She went through all my homework and took pains to answer questions like "do I have to check out & re-check in my luggage at each transit point", "is there adequate transit time for me to catch the next connecting flight" and of course, "which is the most affordable airfare for the best possible itinerary".  I must say, she seems knowledgeable and understanding.  Excellent customer service.  If everything works out fine with this trip, MISA travel will have me as a repeat customer for sure!

Finally got a deal that is cheaper than the one quoted by the Office.  Definitely much better timing - will not miss the connecting flight unlike the one given by Pricebreaker via the Office.

I can't wait to confirm the booking and make my payment quickly.  The next important tasks are:
  • Settle ESTA visa for sis and myself
  • Confirm booking of extra nights of accomodation at JW Marriot
  • Enquire about the multi-day, mult-park passes in Orlando
Can't wait to confirm the holiday plans.  So exciting!

After settling the airfare booking, as I was heading towards Chinatown MRT station, I chanced upon this Chinese tea shop, Wang San Yang at Blk 531 Upper Cross Street #01-61 (Hong Lim Complex). 

I am second time lucky today.  Not only did I meet a helpful and knowledgeable travel consultant, I also met this young lady at the tea shop who did not hard sell any stuff to me but also, patiently & knowledgeably, explained and recommended stuff to me.

I was treated to sampling of two types of Oolong teas (Tie Guan Ying & Da Hong Pao) and was given an instantaneous quick 101 to the art of Chinese tea brewing and drinking.  I ended up buying:
  1. Two boxes (50g each) of both teas.  The Da Hong Pao costs almost 4 times that of the Tie Guan Ying.  It was $95!  Honestly, at this point, I couldn't tell why it costs so much more but will attempt to find out and appreciate why.
  2. 1 nice white porcelain tea strainer mug that costs about $14.40 (after 20% discount).  I was debating whether I should just get a plain white porcelain mug ($13) but thought that the rabbit zodiac sign on the mug was pretty so decided to buy the originally priced $18 mug instead.
  3. 1 set of lid cup (for brewing tea), strainer, tea pitcher or fair cup (for even mixing of the tea), and tea cup (for sipping)
The total purchase set me back by almost $150 but I was happy.  I think it was really value for money.  I just can't wait to try out the tea leaves and to enjoy some quiet moments of tea drinking.

The brief tea sampling experience once again reminded me of the need to slow down the pace and learn to appreciate the wonders of stilling of one's mind and appreciation of the fragrance & beauty of Chinese tea brewing and drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment